County Philatelic Auctions
Stamp Investment Guide
No doom &
gloom here - money pours into good stamps.
short guide is intended to help those considering stamps as an investment
Contact us for further details
Why Invest in Stamps?
- A proven investment with enviable 245% increase over last 10 years1.
- Good demand from ‘baby boomers’ reviving childhood hobbies.
- Diminishing supply of quality material.
- Nearly 50 million stamp collectors worldwide to underpin the
- Emerging economies: China,
etc – if just 1% of the Chinese collected, demand could more than double.
Which stamps to
- Go for quality – stamps with defects may be cheaper but are more
difficult to sell.
- Select stamps that most collectors are missing. There will always be a demand for them
and, when demand outstrips supply, prices go up. In contrast, common stamps are common now
and still will be in 10 years time.
- Choose items worth at least £50 - £200 each and preferably a lot
more. If, in due course, you sell
at auction, your items need to be above the minimum consignment level. If
you sell to a dealer, you need things he hasn’t too many of in stock.
- Choose countries with a good ‘home’ market or strong collector
following. This ensures there are
plenty of people to chase your items when you come to sell.
- Go for the more expensive items or the unusual. Collectors with all the basic material
need errors, varieties, proofs and rarities to further their collections.
Why buy from County Auctions?
- Our buy/sell spread is transparent.
It is simply our commission charge (normally 20%+VAT). Once your items increase in value by
more than this, then by selling through County Auctions again, you are into potential
profit. Stamp investments are
usually best treated as long term.
- At auction, you pay only one step above what someone else valued an
item at. This can be seen as
assurance you are paying a fair price.
- County Auctions has a wide selection of fine items in the £50 - £5000 range as
well as numerous cheaper lots. We
ensure our lots are good value at estimate. If
buying as an investor, we can advise or make a selection for you on
- The not-so-small
with all collectibles, values can go down as well as up and past
performance is no guarantee of future performance. As such, we believe it would be wrong to
guarantee any specific return.
However, we can guarantee that our lots are correctly described and
represent good competitive market value at the time of purchase.
- We can provide high class items in the £5,000 - £50,000+ range
through our Private Treaty Department.
Portfolios from £5000 to £250,000+.
Or become a true collector and discover the real
joy and relaxation of Stamp Collecting.
1 Stanley Gibbons GB rarities index 2008 © County Auctions, 2008